Cherry Tomatoes in TWENTY MINTUES OR LESS
I. Bruschetta with Tomato and Basil*
2 lbs slicing tomatoes(~4-6 depending on size)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
6-8 fresh bail leaves, chopped
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
1 baguette (French or Multigrain bread)
¼ cup olive oil
1 Parboil the tomatoes for one minute. Drain and remove the skins of the tomatoes.
2 Once the tomatoes are peeled, cut them in halves or quarters and remove the seeds, juice, and stem area.
3 Preheat oven to 450 degrees. (Make sure there is a top rack in place).
4 While the oven is heating, chop up the tomatoes finely. Put tomatoes, garlic, 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, vinegar in a bowl and mix. Add the chopped basil. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4 Slice the baguette to ~ ½ inch thick slices. Coat one side of each slice with olive oil using a pastry brush. Place on a cooking sheet, olive oil side down. Toast for 5-6 minutes, until the bread just begins to turn golden brown.
5 Spoon bruschetta onto toasted baguette and enjoy!
*Featured at the St. Joe’s Farmers Market last week.
II. Simple Cherry Tomato Marinara Sauce
1 large yellow onion, diced
3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
2 pints cherry tomatoes, sliced
salt and pepper to taste
*6 large basil leaves, sliced(optional)
YIELD: ~3 cups
- Slowly sauté the diced onion and garlic in the olive oil until they are translucent.
- Keep the heat low to medium to avoid burning. Add the sliced cherry tomatoes and lightly boil until soft.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- If you have some fresh basil on hand, mix it into the sauce at the last moment so the basil retains its flavor. You could also add dried basil or oregano.
III. Cherry Tomato Vinaigrette
1 pint cherry tomatoes
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 shallot, finely chopped
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Cut half of cherry tomatoes in half.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add shallot and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 4 minutes.
- Add halved and whole tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to release juices, 4–6 minutes. Mash some of tomatoes with a spoon.
- Add 1 tablespoon vinegar and remaining 2 tablespoons oil; season with salt and pepper.
- Serve warm or room temperature; add chives just before serving.