(Adapted from epicurious.com)
This summery salad is an easy crowd pleaser that also stores well in the refrigerator. Quinoa and parsley add a distinctive flavor to this version of the classic Middle Eastern salad. Unlike other grains, quinoa is a complete protein and a great source of antioxidants. Additionally, parsley increases the nutrient content of this delicious salad with ample amounts of vitamins A, C, and K.
Ingredients (Serves 6)
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed well
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt plus more
- 2 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large cucumber seeded, peeled and diced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2/3 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh mint
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 medium red onion diced
Bring quinoa, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1 1/4 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until quinoa is tender, for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
Meanwhile, whisk lemon juice and garlic in a small bowl. Gradually whisk in olive oil. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper.
Spread out quinoa on a large rimmed baking sheet; let cool. Transfer to a large bowl; mix in 1/4 cup dressing. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover remaining dressing and quinoa separately; chill.
Add cucumber, tomatoes, herbs, chopped onion, and scallions to a bowl with quinoa; toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Drizzle remaining dressing over the salad.